On March 7, Governor Wolf signed Senate Bill 422, which reschedules Pennsylvania’s primary election from April 28 to June 2 due to the COVID-19 emergency. Voters have the option to vote by mail-in ballot rather than going to their polling place on election day. Mail -in ballot applications will be accepted through Tuesday, May 26, 2020. If a voter has already applied for an absentee or mail-in ballot, they do NOT need to reapply. The deadline to return your voted absentee or mail-in ballot is 8:00 PM on 06/02/2020.
Under Act 77 of 2019, Pennsylvania voters now have several ways to vote if they choose not to go to the polls or are unable to get to the polls on election day: mail-in ballot or absentee ballot, both of which they can vote via the mail or in person at their county election office:
- Mail-in ballots are for voters who simply wish to vote by mail before election day, instead of going to their polling place on election day. They do not have to give a reason or excuse.
- Absentee ballots are for voters who will be away from their home municipality on election day or who have a disability or illness that prevents them from going to the polls. Absentee voters must give a reason.
- Voters can apply online for a mail-in ballot, or download and print the application and mail it to their county election office. (Please be patient – some of the links take some time to load.)
- Voters can also apply for and vote their ballot in person at their county election office weeks ahead of the primary election, during county-established hours.
- Voters who apply on-line will receive two emails. The first informs that the application has been received and the second informs that the application has been approved.
- Also, under Act 77, Pennsylvanians can now register to vote up to 15 days before an election.
- Both mail-in and absentee voters will receive a ballot in the mail to complete and must return it to their county election office by 8 p.m. on election day. ID requirements for mail-in and absentee ballots can be found at www.votespa.com.